Broccoli is a cool season crop and demands fertile, rich and well-drained soil to flourish. Broccoli is part of the Cruciferae family along with cabbage, cauliflower and brussel sprouts. Mature plants are about 10 - 25 centimetres wide with a dark green to purple colour flower head. Central thick stalks measure about 15 - 25 centimetres in height.
Both thick stalk and fleshy flower heads are edible.
- High in vitamin-C and folate.
- Good source of dietary fibre and potassium.
- Loaded with carotenoids and a fabulous source of calcium.
- Typically, it is very low in calories, 100g provides just 34 calories.
- Known as a cancer fighter of the vegetable world.
Our simple and quick Broccoli Recipes are proof that eating healthy is a tasty proposition.