For more than 70 years, the Emerick family has farmed the rich, fertile plains of Queensland’s Lockyer Valley. The original plot was started by John and Dell Emerick who were later joined by son Rodney, daughter Leisa and son-in-law Fabian.
Mulgowie is truly an Australian business with a team of 400 staff and contract partners involved in the management and operations for some 10,000 acres of fertile farming land throughout Australia. Our reach strategically spans across the east coast of Australia from Far North Queensland to Gippsland, Victoria. Our farms are located at:
- Mulgowie, Lockyer Valley, South East Queensland
- Glen Innes, New South Wales
- Home Hill, North Queensland
- Bowen, North Queensland
- Boisdale, Gippsland Victoria.
We are the largest farmer of fresh sweet corn and beans in the country and are sizable producers of baby corn, broccoli, capsicum and pumpkin. We are a well established dynamic business, using a network of 50 growers throughout South East Queensland, North Queensland, Victoria and Granite Belt regions.
As a proud family owned and operated company, we have a passionate commitment to build a benchmark business that delivers a sustainable and positive future.
Key dates and timelines
- 1949 Emerick's started farming in Mulgowie
- 1962 John and Dell begin the next generation of farming in Thornton near Mulgowie
- 1965 Moved from dairy farming to growing cabbage, cauliflower and tomato
- 1973 Started taking produce to local markets
- 1977 Purchased Mulgowie property where the packhouse is located today
- 1981 Started growing new varieties of super sweet corn
- 1981 Began exporting broccoli to South East Asia
- 1983 Began exporting chinese cabbage and wombok to South East Asia
- 1987 Started growing green beans
- 1989 Mulgowie Farming Company brand is "officially" born with first contract growers
- 1998 Established farming and packing operations in Bowen enabling the supply of sweet corn and green beans 12 months of the year
- 2000 Started farmers market in Brisbane
- 2002 Woolworths awarded Mulgowie the "Supplier of the Year" award
- 2003 Expanded the North Queensland operation to Home Hill
- 2004 Started growing baby corn, launching the first Australian baby corn prepack
- 2004 Agribusiness Export Award – Queensland Government
- 2006 Established the Victorian farm and packing operations in Gippsland
- 2006 NAB Primary Producer of the Year award
- 2011 AusVeg awarded Mulgowie the "Excellence award in Environmental management"